Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Memories of 18

i just got tagged by Manju to tell you the songs i was listening to the year i turned 18. it's supposed to be a simple tag - you're supposed to go to the popculture site, find the songs the year you turned 18, make a list and say how these songs affected you then... so off i went to the popculture site, and guess what most of those songs in 1991 made me sick - what a spectacularly boring year... now if it had been 1983 or 1984, then we could sit down and talk all night, but 1991 was the year of horror apparently according to popculture... i'm also pretty much a heavy metal babe, so i very clearly remember that the album of my choice in 1991 was the sabbath stones by black sabbath. i was very into metallica and iron maiden as well, so i got to confess that Bryan Adams (that horrible horrible song about seeing his unborn children in your eyes, yuck yuck yuck... it was on all the time i remember... even thinking about this awful song is creeping me out... what kind of weirdo sees unborn children in his lovers eyes?) and Mariah Carey didn't do it for me.

then i went and looked properly and realised that 1991 was the year slayer came out with War Ensemble, which is like the song for me... i can't explain this song to you. you have to hear it blasting from your speakers, and the lead singer would scream "Waaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrr! Ensemble!" If i had an anthem, this would be it.... The best and cheapest stress buster in town... Waaaarrrrrrr!

REM came out with their Losing My Religion album in 1991... and that song and the whole album so touched me, so so much. i still love this song so much. Turns out, in 1991 i also listened to

3. under the bridge by red hot chilli peppers (which remains till today, one of my favourite favourite songs)
4. the unforgiven by metallica
5. I Wanna Sex You Up, Color Me Badd
6. Gonna Make You Sweat, C+C Music Factory
7. More than words by Extreme (remember this song? used to sing it all the time)
8. Hey Stoopid by Alice Cooper
9. November Rain by Guns and Roses
10. Walking in Memphis by Marc Cohn.

The year i turned 18 is very vivid in my memory - it was the year i got my spm results. it was the year i started my diploma in law. i was a paradox - on the outside i was this indian girl with long long hair, and on the inside i was this metal chick ... so lots of people had a very different perception of me, that were to say the least, completely inaccurate...

before the spm results came out, during the holidays, my friend suga (from penang) came and spent a month in my place in kl. we hung out all day, went shopping and did all sorts of freaky things. we would go to shopping complexes in bukit bintang, and pretend that we were down from the usa with with our rich daddy - suga made me try on all the expensive outfits, and we got the best treatment from the snobby salesgirls because of our uppity (fake) accents! we always made the salesgirls drool by picking up hugely expensive things at random and saying, "yeah, i think we'll take this as well" we went skating at this rink in bukit bintang, flirted with all sorts of guys there, who were eating out of our hands, and did all sorts of crazy teenage girl things...

when i got my spm results, my parents decided to enrol me in the diploma in law course in Help, and here i am, today... of course out of all my coursemates at help, the only one i keep in touch with is my friend, simone... don't know what the rest of them are doing...

i remember the year for the fact that i shared an amazing closeness with my two younger brothers... my taste in music is largely due to our shared influences during that time. while others hung out with their friends, i could just hang out with my brothers at home... we cooked, we blasted the music, we bitched about our mutual relatives... we were cool... we had so much fun...

its sad because we don't get to hang out so much any more. marriage. kids. work. different residences. these things have separated us, but you know, i know that they're there. they know i'm here. its just that we stopped being wild together... perhaps we have stopped being wild... and perhaps that's a necessary part of growing up - but its still a little sad... its like that guy said in that song of 1991 - a thing that made you go hmmm (remember this song C+C music factory - things that make you go hmmm)...

that year was also the year that i became aware that i had an effect on men... but i was not to realise my full powers until the year i turned 20... and i think this delayed realisation was because i went into that diploma program. you see the program, was for 6 months only, and immediately after that i joined the degree class - at 18 1/2, i was the youngest in that degree class. no one treated me like an equal because everyone was at least 2 years older than me ( and when you're 20, i guess, an 18 year old is a baby). - so my classmates treated me like a kid, and well, they treated me like a pet - and not the goddess i eventually turned out to be...

i won't complain because i had lots of fun - i met lots of wonderful people including jeff and shamira, some of whom changed my life and who i am today. until today, jeff shakes his head when he recalls me at 18 - long hair in a plait. pottu (bindi - a mark hindu women wear traditionally) a grungy bag. heavy metal t-shirt, jeans and singing a song from the sabbath stones. head banging....

so overall, i would have to say it was a good year for me ;)

i think i would also have to thank manju for sending me on this journey down memory lane.. guess i won't get you for tagging me after all, my dear.

No comments: