Thursday, September 21, 2006

books, lovely books

After my post about our favourite books, I’ve had loads of enquiries as to where I’ve been getting all these lovely books from. I don’t blame you if you’ve not seen such books in your friendly neighbourhood bookshop. I haven’t either.

For some strange reason, the large chain bookshops in kl, seem to stock up on a different variety of books altogether. Occasionally, you can find a couple of Dr. Seuss books, and some Sandra Boynton books, but otherwise, you are in for a meager selection at exorbitant prices.

Luckily for me, I discovered Trisha ‘n’ Sasha, a children’s bookshop in Sri Hartamas, when Gitanjali was about 18 months old – since then, most of my book purchases have been from here. T&S has a delightful collection of picture books, which they restock all the time. Its purely a children’s bookshop, and the variety of quality books and fun educational materials is, from a kl perspective, amazing. Books range from about RM6.00 onwards, with the average book priced between RM19.90 and RM25.90. They also have storewide sales about 3 to 4 times a year, when every book in the store, is at 20% off.

The last time they had it was in July, and every book in the store was at 30% off. Every Book!!! Sham and I both bought the same parenting book, titled, “How to talk so kids will talk, and listen so kids will talk” – its’ fantastic, and after 30% off, came up to RM48.00 or so!!!

They have storytelling sessions every Saturday morning from eleven to twelve o’clock, and these sessions are followed up with hand/face painting and balloons – and this is all free!!! And the storytelling is wonderful. I love it, love it , love it.

After re-reading the above post, I note with some trepidation that there seems to be an unusually large number of exclamation marks, but I can’t bring myself to delete any of them, as they are sort of necessary, and not really the sign of a demented mind (as I am sure some of you were beginning to wonder). It’s just that I’m so grateful that I have this wonderful bookshop to go to. In the spirit of confession, I have to admit that more often than not, I fall in love with the books, and buy them for Gitanjali without consulting her first – I sort of feel deprived that I never had these kind of choices when I was growing up. I would have loved pig in the pond. I would have cherished all the books I have now collected – and yes, deep down inside, (very deep la ok) I actually on a certain level think of her books as mine, because I adore them. And she always falls in love with them too.

The last trip that we made, I let her choose one book, and she chose a Barbie doll story book (which cost RM5.53, after discount), which she fell in love with, and made us read about 20 times everyday. She was so grateful for this book that she actually crawled up to our bed in the middle of the night (on the day that I had bought her the book), hugged me tightly, and said, “thank you so much mummy for buying me my Barbie doll book. I love you sooo much…”

Touching as that was, I don’t intend to let Barbie corrupt our collection, so mostly, I choose the books, and I love them madly. So anyway, go check T&S out.
Their address is:

No. 6-2 & 4-2 (2nd Floor)
Jalan 31/70A
Desa Sri Hartamas
50480 Kuala Lumpur
Tel: 23004399

Now I’ve gushed so much about T&S that I’ve forgotten about the Scholastic Book Clubs. This is a book club, which Gitanjali’s school belongs to, and they seem to come out with book catalogues every 2-3 months. I’ve found Scholastic to have a fantastic range of picture books – in fact, scholastic actually is a range that aims to bring great books to more people at cheaper prices - the quality is probably not as great as a non-scholastic version, but will be so much cheaper. In fact, I remember there was one particular book, Giraffes Can’t Dance, where the scholastic version was RM20 cheaper, but the non-scholastic version was so much more gorgeous that I bought the more expensive version… but this is a one off thing – usually scholastic versions are great anyway, and with the book club, I can get fabulous books at RM6 onwards. I bought “Guess How much I Love you” for RM11.00, and “Sheep in a Jeep” for RM7.00… such steals. The only problem is that the books are so cheap, that you end up spending about RM100.00 each time… but you get 10 books. So I guess it works out… Scholastic Book Clubs however seems to be available through schools only. So if your child's school isn't a member, and they would like to be, you can call this number: 1-300-88-7818 or you can give me the school's particulars and i can pass it on to gitanjali's headmistress, for her to recommend.

Happy Reading y'all

1 comment:

geetha said...

Great info. Must check the place out. It is definitely difficult to find good toddler books around :)